Wednesday 25 September 2013

BFI LFF PREVIEW: NORTE, THE END OF HISTORY


It's 18 days until I pop over to London for the BFI London Film Festival; it kicks off on the 9th of October, with the opening night gala Captain Phillips, in its European premiere (Locarno winner Story of My Death and a restoration of Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast will actually be the first films to screen, but oh well). And I'm seeing 18 films while there, which is far fewer than I wish I could but that's that. 18 bloody good ones, I should hope! Every day until then, I'll preview one of those. Today, it's Norte, the End of History, Filipino auteur Lav Diaz's four-hour-plus Dostoyevskian drama. Critics have been enthusiastic about the film so far, which premiered in the Un Certain Regard section of the Cannes Film Festival back in May, and which has made several festival appearances elsewhere since, including Karlovy Vary, Locarno, Toronto and New York. The film, Diaz's fifteenth feature-length project, concerns a young law student, Fabian (Sid Lucero), who murders a moneylender and her daughter, and the effects it come to have on both his own life, and those of many others. It'll be the first film I catch at the festival, on Sunday the 13th of October.

No comments:

Post a Comment