Thursday 10 October 2013

BFI LFF PREVIEW: THE SELFISH GIANT


Talk about selfish: if I had known that Clio Barnard's The Selfish Giant, which drew raves when it premiered earlier in the year at Cannes (yup, Cannes is a pretty common theme among the films I'll see at LFF!), was gonna be released in the UK four days after I return from the festival, I probably wouldn't have booked a ticket to see it. Though my local arthouse will still be too busy showing Blue Jasmine and The Fifth Estate by then, so it might be some time before it reaches Belfast shores. I'm not seeing Philomena in London for the same reason - it's out in the UK on the 1st of November. Barnard's first film, the docu-drama (a word that normally induces terror and revulsion in me) The Arbor, was a critical hit in 2010-2011 among niche audiences. Her adaptation of the Oscar Wilde short story won the Europa Cinemas Label award in Cannes in May, and its two lead actors, Conner Chapman and Shaun Thomas, are nominated for the Best British Newcomer award at LFF, with the film screening as one of thirteen in official competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment