Thursday 3 October 2013

BFI LFF PREVIEW: STRANGER BY THE LAKE


I've got my tissues at the ready for Alain Guiraudie's Stranger by the Lake, and that's not because it's my eyes I expect to weep! ;) No rly, Guiraudie's breakout feature was one of the must-sees of the Cannes Film Festival in May, and it has held similar status at several international fests through the summer, including at TIFF, and last week at NYFF. An erotic thriller set, obviously, lakeside in France at a cruising spot, the film has been well reviewed by many leading critics, and it won two major awards while at Cannes, where it made its world premiere: the Un Certain Regard Best Director award and the Queer Palm, beating Palme d'Or winner Blue Is the Warmest Colour. I'm seeing no shortage of French-language films at LFF, including Kechiche's Blue, and this one is near the top of my list of most-anticipated. You'll find out what I think of it when I see it within the fortnight.

2 comments:

  1. now all we have to look forward too is comments from the actors claiming the director forced them to the sex scenes. ;)

    and i have my tissues out /because i fear my hard drive is gonna die. oh the noises it makes... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you have no idea. Hard drive making noises? You should hear my laptop. I can hear it from the floor below. It first broke down the day after I bought it. I can't play Spotify with the internet up.

      Lol I wonder if they used moulds for this?! :D

      Delete