Wednesday 30 October 2013

WHAT'S ON WEDNESDAY - NOV 1-3


I went to the cinema today, and I'll be going again this weekend! But what to see? A few options:

PHILOMENA

I know I'll be seeing Stephen Frears' acclaimed and Oscar-tipped Philomena on Saturday. It was a runner-up for the People's Choice Award at TIFF, won the Queer Lion at Venice, and has drawn praise for Judi Dench's lead performance and the screenplay, co-written by Dench's co-star Steve Coogan. It's a true story of an Irish woman whose child was robbed of her as she worked in a mid-century laundry, and her journey to find him, alongside a recently fired employer. It opens in the UK on Friday and on the 27th of November in the US.

DALLAS BUYERS CLUB

Another film looking forward to potential Oscar nominations in the new year may be Jean-Marc Vallee's Dallas Buyers Club, another true story. Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto have drawn raves for their performances as unlikely partners in the process of illegally importing cheap medicine to the US at the height of the AIDS crisis. You can catch it Stateside from Friday; us Brits will have to wait until the 7th of February, alas!

LAST VEGAS

Nah, I couldn't care what the critics are gonna say. The trailer for Last Vegas actually made me laugh. It's gonna get trashed, sure, and it's probably gonna be awful, sure, but if a trailer makes me laugh, I'll be there. Another long wait for British audiences, all the way until the 3rd of January, but it opens in the US on Friday. Will you seek it out?

No comments:

Post a Comment