Saturday 30 November 2013

SIGHT & SOUND'S TOP 10 OF 2013


A rather cracking Top 10 from the prestigious Sight & Sound magazine. Just one of these films I haven't seen (A Touch of Sin, regrettably, cos I'm dying to see it!), and just one more I don't like much (Upstream Colour, though I do respect it and understand its popularity). And hoo-to-the-ray for The Act of Killing and Norte, the End of History! Norte, the End of History! And you all thought I was the only one who even saw that! Yyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh.

  1. The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer)
  2. Gravity (Alfonso Cuaron)
  3. Blue Is the Warmest Colour (Abdellatif Kechiche)
  4. The Great Beauty (Paolo Sorrentino)
  5. Frances Ha (Noah Baumbach)
  6. A Touch of Sin (Jia Zhang Ke)
  7. Upstream Colour (Shane Carruth)
  8. The Selfish Giant (Clio Barnard)
  9. Norte, the End of History (Lav Diaz)
  10. Stranger by the Lake (Alain Guiraudie)

5 comments:

  1. i love the new background.nice and i can still easily read the text ! that spells success... :)

    and sorry i don't even remember your seeing 'the end of history.sorry i missed that post.opps...

    the 'act of killing' sounds insane in good way.and i hate docs...but this seems to have dash of creative unreality/madness.

    ha, this film seems it less traditional than the usual oscar bait stuff.got to root for that...

    on ad you mentioned this could get a best doc nom.well america does love killing... ;)

    and have you mentioned the *most important* whatever to hit during *this* award season...

    http://www.indiewire.com/article/evan-rachel-wood-calls-out-the-mpaa-for-sex-scene-double-standards-on-deleted-charlie-countryman-scene

    i know you hated this film.but however much you disliked it. this has to more than make for everything.everything all at once/ forever... ;)

    'upstream color' of course u haven't seen this.but from the reviews i read i rather something like this instead of 'gravity' get some potential award play.yes i said that. thank you, takes a bow... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't like Gravity? It's made both Cahiers' and Sight & Sound's Top 10 lists, which is pretty fucking impressive. I'm starting to wonder if it might sweep this awards season and kick every other film's ass. It almost feels like a surer bet than 12 Years a Slave now.

      Norte, the End of History was the first film I saw at the London Film Festival. I loved it. I reviewed it, so if you want to read that piece it's on the blog for sure. And I reviews Upstream Colour too, but I wasn't so fond of it.

      I've been predicting The Act of Killing to get a Best Documentary Oscar nomination for a while now. I sure hope it will!

      Delete
  2. Great top ten list.. And am guessing 4 titles of this list are gonna show up on SOS top 10 of 2013. 4.

    And Upstream Color worked for me. The sheer originality and sense of understanding of the concept really swept me in. But it sure is a divisive film and its easy to be on the others side of the page. Interested in what Carruth does next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know which four! They're definitely in contention. But I won't be posting my Top 10 until just before the Oscars, once I've had a time to see a few more of the films which have made the rounds through the end of 2013 and into early 2014.

      I respect Upstream Colour a lot, but it didn't entirely work for me.

      Delete
  3. opps meant to put if course i haven't seen it(upstream color)

    and anonymous, here's sos's top 10 list.see what happens when you sleep paddy. i steal the thunder. ;)

    http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/sight-sound-magazine/polls-surveys/annual-round-ups/best-films-2013

    ReplyDelete