Sunday 4 May 2014

10 YEARS AT THE MOVIES: BEST DIRECTION - AGNES HRANITZKY AND BELA TARR (THE TURIN HORSE)


The longer I think on Bela Tarr's extraordinary The Turin Horse, the more I realise how he and his directing partner in recent years, Agnes Hranitzky, utterly outdid themselves with this outstanding work of art. I believe that, were it not for the exceptionally high standard of Tarr's films throughout his career, it would already be regarded as one of cinema's greatest achievements. Spare, stark and startling, the apocalyptic vision summoned up by these directors, in reportedly Tarr's final film, is uniquely theirs, magnificently realised, and responsible for among the most vivid emotional experiences I have had in a theatre. I won't miss Bela Tarr, actually, since I've still so much of his canon to discover, and since his films will undoubtedly stand up to repeat viewing after repeat viewing. And this masterwork provides the perfect close to his career. The Turin Horse is the best-directed film of the last ten years.

No comments:

Post a Comment