Sunday 2 October 2016

LFF 2016 PREVIEW: VOYAGE OF TIME: LIFE'S JOURNEY


'An experience that I haven't been able to shake, like a waking dream'
Richard Brody, The New Yorker

'A rapturous work of telescopes and microscopes'
Fernando F. Croce, MUBI's Notebook

'The most maximalist work yet by Terrence Malick that never lets the audience lose sight of the big questions at its heart'
Michael Koresky, Film Comment

The maverick American auteur, disappearing ever deeper into the rabbit hole to produce ever more distancing, divisive, esoteric works of art with ever more frequency. Where do I sign? Terrence Malick may be too easy to dismiss these days, as the type of filmmaker who makes films only for his own satisfaction, but when they provide me with just as much satisfaction, who am I to dismiss him in the slightest? And indeed I do not - I'm chomping at the bit to see Voyage of Time: Life's Journey (remember, this is not Voyage of Time: An IMAX Experience, a different version of the same project) at the 2016 BFI London Film Festival, and I'm delighted to have booked a ticket to include it in SOS' official schedule this year. Set to be one of the most unique and memorable cinema experiences not only of the festival but of the year for me, I'm expecting big things from a filmmaker who's yet to let me down. Word is that, whether he does or not, big things are definitely on the menu in Voyage of Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment